maanantai 26. lokakuuta 2015

Dancing after injuries vs. muscle treatment

Kipinän tuntisijaisenakin toimiva Linda Szöke kertoo tällä viikolla miten kuntoutuminen loukkaantumisen jälkeen tapahtuu. Linda on kotoisin Unkarista, mutta nyt työskentelee ja asuu nyt Vaasassa.




2 years ago I got a knee injury… and after I recovered, it happened again last summer. After crying my eyes out for many days in a row and getting over the feeling that my life is over, I started training my legs and knees again.
 
Having heard and read about many things, I have found that the most important thing is that I always need to keep the muscles around the injured area in a good shape.  Of course, in the beginning there were some restrictions and some things that I just couldn’t do without having a sharp pain. Besides,  still today I have to be always careful that I do not overload my knee, otherwise, when the muscles are tired, it gets worse. For example, when an accident happens, the injured area is full of liquid for a couple of weeks and it should be ”moved out” from that area, so in this sense my knee had to be kept in moving. 

After most of the liquid went away, I started having this loose feeling in my knee.  Basically, it was moving 2 centimetres out of the normal place and back. This equalled to no jumping at all (at least big jumps still have to wait for some long weeks) and I had been restricted to easily controllable movements. I needed to look for treatment, where I use my muscles around my knee a lot and still can have fun. 

My physiotherapist gave me some typical exercises what people normally do in the gym, but I am just simply not that weightlifting gym girl who is putting 60 kg on the “leg bending machine” and do that 3x15 times… On the other hand, nowadays it is a must for me, so from now and then I will get myself to do them.

Though I have found some nicer ways to keep the muscles busy, which worked for me… My favourite one is dancing, but not the jumping all around type for quick rhythms as there I would loose the control on my knee. For example by ballet, by tandu, jete, releve and so on, I use my whole leg and at the same time small and important muscles around my knees are getting stronger and stronger. It works in the same way with modern jazz, and contemporary dance.  By dancing, besides getting nice long muscles, I do gain body control that helps me to avoid injuries in the future. 


In the same way Pilates helps me to gain body control too. Well, a typical way how body reacts, when something is broken, it tries to avoid loading too much weight on that broken spot and starts compensating by using the other side of the body more… For that reason, my lower back started hurting. Besides, my lovely leg exercises, I have needed to find another type of moving to open my back muscles. Pilates and yoga are working for me very well :D


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti